Use the TX EQ - don't waste your money on another mic.

I strongly agree. It's very easy to make almost any decent mike sound good with a K3. Many K3 users, especially those who are competitive contesters and DXers, like the Yamaha CM500 boom headset. It's very comfortable, even after a long weekend contesting, and both the mic and the headphones sound VERY good. Not only that, it's very inexpensive -- about $45 delivered from vendors like B&H Photo in NYC. You can buy three for the price of one Heil, and it sounds better than the Heils I've heard. The Heil mics are over-hyped and wildly overpriced. You're paying for Bob Heil's advertising budget, which is huge, not for his mics, which are cheaply built and not that comfortable.

How competitive is the audio from a CM500 with a K3? Well, as a lark, I worked ARRL DX SSB QRP. (DX contests aren't competitive from California, because it's very tough to work EU, which is where the mults are.) Even running QRP, I worked a dozen EU stations in 9 countries, a total of 41 countries. Believe me, if you can work a SSB DX contest QRP, you've got really competitive audio! BTW -- I also worked TX5K on 80-10 (except 30, of course).

Jim K9YC