On 3/14/2013 6:52 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
The same could be said be said about buying a loaded K3/P3 SVGA for
$5500+ instead of an IC-718 for $700 both radios?

This is a case of apples vs. oranges.  There is less difference among
microphones designed for voice work than there is among high end rigs. Yes, there are places for specialized microphones - if one is working
from a distance (e.g., a "shotgun" mic), trying to mic a "kick" drum,
or trying to duplicate the complex overtone structure of classical
strings using a microphone designed for the job is essential.

However, communications is one of the least demanding applications
for a microphone and spending $200, $300 or even $400 is not going
to provide any more performance than the $50 utility mic.  In this
area, one is paying for name and style not performance.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV