  From: Mark Petiford
  To: Phil Kane ; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
  Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:33 AM
  Subject: Re: [Elecraft] USB Sound Card for Win7

  Phil,

  No special drivers required. I use Win7 64 bit and it works great.

  Try this: Right click on the little speaker icon in the lower right corner of
the screen and click on "recording devices". In the window that opens, right
click on "iMic Microphone USB audio system", and click on Properties. In the
window that opens, click on the levels tab and be sure the volume is turned up
and the button on the right says it is enabled. You may need to experiment with
the volume slider vs. the MIC/Line switch in the iMic. I usually keep it on
Line, and the volume slider at about 50%. When I turn the volume up to about 20
on the KX3, I get a good waterfall display.

  I have been using an iMic for years, and once I make sure it is enabled and
the volume is turned up, it works great for either I/Q or as an input to
digital mode software (I use FLDIGI) input. Keep in mind that sometimes, other
software will change your settings, so you have to check them again if it
suddenly seems to stop working. If you want to use its output as an input to
the MIC jack on the KX3, you will have to go thru a similar setup for the "iMic
Speakers".

  I think this little USB Soundcard is one of the best buys I have made. When I
first got it, I too had problems setting it up, but I was simply making it more
complicated than it needed to be. I really think it is easier under Win7 than
XP because everything can be selected starting with a right click on the little
speaker icon. It all starts there. No reason to open volume controls and figure
out which menu you need to use next.

  Hope this helps.

  Mark
  KE6BB