  From: Mark Petiford
  To: Richard Fjeld ; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
  Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:19 AM
  Subject: Re: [Elecraft] USB Sound Card for Win7

  Dick,

  You are almost there.  It appears you got through steps 1 and 2, but you also
need to do steps 3, 4,and 5 below:

  1. Right click on the speaker icon on the lower right of the screen and
select Playback Devices.
  2. The Sound window will open.  Be sure the Playback tab is selected.  This
is where you can select the default device.  More on that below.
  3. Right click on Speakers iMac USB Audio System and select Properties in the
dropdown menu.

  4. The Speaker Properties window will open, select the Levels tab in that
window.
  5. Be sure the Speakers slider is set to something greater than zero, and be
sure the little speaker icon is not muted.  You can leave this window open
while you try to play a file; however, be sure to click on OK once the volume
is set correctly.

  Be sure you have the headphones plugged into the Out jack of the iMac.  Of
course, I never make mistakes like that. ;-)

  If you are simply playing a file back, you must have the iMac selected as the
default device in the Sound window, item 2 above.  That tells your PC to send
the digital sound (music) to that device, unless you tell a specific program
otherwise.  You do not need for it to be the default device if you are setting
it up to work with a program such as FLDIGI.  You will tell that program to
send data to that device.  In fact, you probably don't want it to be the
default device so you can prevent Windows from sending your music, and every
other beep and blurp that Windows makes, out over the air!  That is one big
advantage of using a separate soundcard for digital modes.

  Hope this helps.

  Mark

  KE6BB