Even in the world of experts there are divergent opinions on which
method is best and which can bite you in the end.  During my years as a
transmission technician with Sprint (formerly Southern Pacific
Communications) the word was to _not_ use petroleum jelly as it can
damage the jars (cases) of some batteries (2 volt cells, actually).
No-Oxide grease was the order of the day.

In the case discussed here, I venture to say that Don's experience ought
to be significant and a guiding light.  The added virtue is the lower
cost.  Light oil ought to do the job nicely so long as you don't over
use it.

73 de Dick, ka1oz
Elecraft K3/100K #859
GAP Titan-DX Vertical