Several years ago I ordered StennHeiser on-ear noise-cancelling headphones for reducing noise on aircraft. This was not a luxury purchase but following orders of my audiologist to protect my hearing "always" when flying.

Previously, I had to remove hearing aids and insert foam ear-plugs, which meant I was totally deaf for any in-flight conversation. The StennHeiser's cost me about $150, and did reduce noise slightly, but were very uncomfortable to wear with hearaids. Removing hearing aids and I was back in my silent incommunicado world.

So I bought the $300 Bose QC2 (QC15 were not made back then) with comfortable around-ear muff. This proved to be a good investment later when I upgraded to Phonac OTR hearing aids which would absolutely be incompatible with on the ear styles. I gave my StennHeiser to my then-new wife who only used them a couple times.

I have not tried them in the noisy shack when I run the 8877 blower (because I am running eme digital modes which are a text mode). Soon I will be trying to run CW eme and the Bose may help a lot to minimize blower noise so I can copy extreme weak signals.

BTW I have a pair of Sony MDR-V600 stereo headphones that have done good service for copying weak signals for over a decade. They are over the ear muffs which I must use with my OTR hearing aids.

Recently, I have been playing with the NR settings of the K3 to find a good compromise with quieting vs distortion of sounds (F1-2 works fairly well for me as any distorting of sound makes it harder to understand speech). For weak CW cranking down the bandwidth to 100-Hz is the best vs NR. Definition: weak CW < -6 dB SNR...signal strengths about -170 dBm.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: