Jim,

It takes longer to gouge in-ear phones out of your ear canal than it does to
fling off a pair of over-ear cans.  That's the problem.  A piece of radio gear
may at any instant decide to go ballistic and produce a loud buzz or whistle
that can damage you.  Keeping the AGC on is not a certain protection.

Oliver
W6ODJ