The Audio Technic QuietPoint phones I mentioned before are still under $80
on Amazon. But they are on-ear types that I chose for small size when folded
up to fit in my briefcase. Besides, being noise cancelling, isolating my
ears from ambient sounds is not very important and I don't find them
uncomfortable on long flights.

They, along with many other Audio-Technica noise cancelling headphones that
do cover your ears are available on Amazon. Here's a tinyurl link:

http://tinyurl.com/mbbafjs

The ones I have are at the top.

Do they work as well as the high-priced phones? I have no idea. I don't have
a store nearby where I can try them side-by-side. Besides, the high-priced
units like Bose would have to come with free Champagne before I'd consider
spending that much money on phones considering how well the cheaper ones
work.

Note that they do not suppress speech (or a crying baby). They work very,
very well on steady noise (like fans or jet engines). You switch them on and
a few seconds later the racket suddenly fades into the distant background.

73 Ron AC7AC