>> In a post speaking to the Sherwood chart, it was said, "........too
many
>> people jump on one number to rate (rank) equipment and totally
>>disregard things like ergonomics
>> (If they didn't the K3 would be at the bottom of
>> the list)."

W4TV replied:

>The issue is not "lack of curves and swirls or plastic molding" ...

Correct. "Ergonomics" is not about good looks. Ergonomics is about the
way that equipment interacts with human operator.

And in ergonomics, the K3 does fall short of the competition. Outside of
this [Elecraft] list, the K3 does have a reputation for being cranky to
operate, requiring far too many button-pushes to do simple routine
operations, and for being unforgiving of mistakes.

Joe again:
>I've given up counting the number of times the radio has changed
>bands when I meant to change modes or vice versa or the number of
>times I've engaged RIT when I wanted to turn off the speaker, the
>number of times I've reset VFO B when I wanted to engage split, or
>the number of times I've linked VFOs when I wanted to turn on the
>KRX-3.  These are the problems with the limited number of tightly
>packed, dual function controls and looking the same.

I agree with most of that, but not all of those operational problems are
due to the hardware. Many can be fixed - or at the very least,
considerably reduced - by firmware upgrades.

The *real* problem is that Elecraft has shown no interest in doing so.
The stream of improvements that once made the K3 so exciting has slowed
to a disappointing trickle, with too much still left undone.

>While I certainly appreciate the performance of the K3 - it is on
>my operating bench whilst the MK V and FT-2000 gather dust in the
>closet - having fewer dual function controls and band/mode controls
>that are physically separated and very different in design *IS* a
>major improvement in ergonomics.  If I had but one wish it would
>be that Elecraft would give up on the thought that every radio
>must be capable of operating from a backpack on a small 12V battery

Yes to that! The K3 is my favorite radio ever... which is why I so hate
to see it being left with so many rough edges.

Elecraft have already said no to the next part:

>and would produce a real home station radio with 24 or 48 V finals
>and a large front panel supporting separate band and mode buttons.

- but that isn't the point. The point is the 8000 K3s that are still
"unfinished business".

73 from Ian GM3SEK