On 7/28/2014 5:45 AM, N4OI - Ken wrote:
Perhaps this is discussed somewhere in the thread, but I am surprised by the
lack of Flex SDRs in the mix.  I would have thought at least a few would be
there for PR, if no other reason.

PR?  What's that?

The K3 and KX3 are both SDRs with knobs. I'm guessing that you mean SDRs without knobs.

My interest is primarily contesting, the subject was radios for contesting, and rigs like the Flex products have made little headway in the contesting community. I know of only two guys contesting with Flex radios . One is K6TU, and the other is K6XN, who bought K6TU's older SDR that is new model replaced. No, I don't remember which models were involved.

However, several guys asked, so I've added all three SDRs that ARRL has tested to the plots. I've also corrected a labeling error on one of the plots, added a plot of phase noise for a 500 Hz bandwidth, and added some text. It's all still at k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf I suspect that these plots will make it clear why contesters aren't thrilled with these radios.

By all means, before you consider one of the Flex radios, be sure to study this work by Leif Asbrink, SM5BSZ.

http://sm5bsz.com/dynrange/dubus313.pdf

73, Jim K9YC