There were 1-2 Yaesu radios that did not have the after-market key click mod
and were causing tremendous unnecessary QRM to other WRTC stations.  Those
radios were detected in the Friday setup period and swapped out to eliminate
the QRM.

The 65 WRTC sites (only 59 actually used) were spread out over a distance of
80 miles, from the southern NH border to the entrance to Cape Cod in
southern MA.  There were some clusters of sites where 15 or so WRTC stations
were located just a couple thousand yards from each other.  The 100 watt
power limit helped a bit, too.

Ed W0YK

Fred K6DGW wrote:

The one factor that using different radios does not control for is
spurious emissions such as key clicks and phase noise.  There *is* a
wide difference in those between the radios.  Don't know if that would
turn out to be an issue in the WRTC environment, although I sure know it
was when my "neighbor" Jack, KF6T, was running a Yaesu rig with serious
phase noise problems.  Of course, if clicks and phase noise was an issue
at WRTC, it would impact everyone else negatively.