I think that most are looking for something the K3 WRTC numbers are
not telling. I rather doubt that people went out and bought them for
the WRTC.  With those kinds of numbers, the market had already made
its decision a long time ago.

I know some who borrowed K3 and/or P3 for the contest. That means
those skilled operators had other rigs but *wanted* the K3/P3.

The rest (vast majority) already owned them.  In those cases, it's the
rig they bought for themselves, or they had multiple rigs and *wanted*
the K3/P3 for the WRTC.

As a piece of market research, that list should be (and is) terrifying
to other manufacturers. Usually when a single brand/model has such a
huge penetration of top echelon operators, the competition will take
decades to change minds in the market.  The only comparable historical
dominance of this sort is Collins Radio, which eventually lost out to
Yakencom because the Collins transistor offerings were ridiculously
expensive. The Yakencom radio which pushed up market penetration among
contesters was the FT1000MP. Interestingly, among all I know who
do/did have MP's for contesting and upgraded, 90+ percent of those
went to K3's.

As to the technical advantages of the K3, most of my own K3's observed
advantages probably would not show up using the WRTC antenna package.
That is after all an intentional "little pistol" setup. The well known
clean performance of K3's in multi- and close station immunity is very
useful there, but some newer Yakencom are quite good there as well.

If you run a five element 40m wide spaced quad on a 190 foot catenary
trained on Europe, and place an MP side-by-side with a K3, the
enormous difference shows immediately. Even if Yakencom comes out with
an intermediate price unit with somewhat better performance there, The
K3 has a better version of the VHS over Betamax advantage, plus the
huge advantage of the proven, now trusted Elecraft responsiveness to
customer issues. A case can be made that the latter was the biggest K3
competitive advantage.

It should be obvious and without argument that the K3 far and away has
THE market penetration among serious contesters, regardless of how one
might explain it. That is true even without the WRTC numbers, just not
so visible and in-your-face obvious.

73, Guy K2AV

PS, I got my taste for KoolAid as a kid, long before I was interested
in any kind of radios.  The inference that all KoolAid is spiked with
Cyanide is an insult to the memory of my registered nurse mother, who
would do just about anything to keep her kids hydrated out in the hot
New Mexico desert sun, sometimes including her own variety of KoolAid
made from scratch.  Jim Jones was an idiot and ruined a perfectly good
concept.

Elecraft KoolAid (sometimes known as liquid mojo) is good stuff and
perfectly safe for human consumption  :>)