P-T,

No, a conjugate match will assure 100% power transfer.

Look at it this way - what the conjugate match says is that if you cut a transmission line at any point, looking one way at that cut point, you will have some impedance - example is 70 + j20. Now look the other way and the impedance will be the conjugate match - 70 - j20. That is the condition that exists.
It also happens to be the condition for maximum power transfer.

Since that cut can be made at any and all points along the transmission line - think what would happen if the efficiency at each of those points (when connected together) were 50% - nothing would get to the antenna. So we know that 50% is *not* the efficiency of any and all junctions of any conjugate match.

Mixing the conjugate match concept with the maximum power transfer theorem is getting us into confusion - there are 'holes' in that combination. Yes, they work together, but not seamlessly. If a generator has an internal impedance of 50 ohms, the maximum power transfer will be only if the load to that generator is also 50 ohms. That says nothing about a conjugate match.

Now to further complicate things, the internal impedance of a generator has nothing to do with the efficiency of that generator - especially if we are discussing a PA output stage. Bringing the conjugate match concept into the internal design of a PA stage is in error - it just does not work that way. The conjugate match only applies to the output of that amplifier stage.

In other words, if we send 10 watts into a feedline (or ATU), all 10 watts will go to the load (antenna) except for losses in the feedline.

I am not about to embark on the design and efficiency of a PA stage on this reflector, so take the conjugate match and maximum power transfer theorem only to the terminals at the PA stage and all will make sense. They do not apply to the internals of that stage.

73,
Don W3FPR