P-T,

If one uses the voltage divider example, yes the maximum efficiency is 50%,
But the output of a PA stage is not a resistor, and the collector load "resistance" is set by the designer to produce the output power desired.

The 'resistor' assumption is a simplification that can be used when constructing equivalent circuits to analyze the voltages and currents in the network that follows the perfect generator.

The theory of large signal amplifiers is too great for detailed discussion on this reflector, so we usually have to settle for simplifications. An equivalent circuit is not a full representation of the workings of an actual PA stage. I believe that is where the misunderstanding comes from.

73,
Don W3FPR