I think I see where the confusion has arisen. Here we are talking about a K2
with integrated KAT2  ATU. So, when I used the term "rig end of the feedline",
I was referring to where the feedline connects to the KAT2 BNC connector at the
back of the K2, which is the output or antenna side of the KAT2 ATU. In order
to make the impedance where the antenna connects to the KAT2 output look like
50+0j ohms, the KAT2 will use an LC network to transform the impedance. The
impedance of this LC network together with the 50ohms of the K2 final PA output
will be equal to the complex conjugate of the impedance you will see looking
into the shack end of the feedline leading to your antenna.

For example, to keep the maths simple, let's consider a case where the
impedance at the end of the feedline in the shack works out to be 50+j100ohms.
That is, the antenna is slightly inductive. In order to transform this
impedance to 50ohms, you could connect a capacitor in series that has a
reactance of 100ohms to cancel out the inductive reactance of the
antenna+feedline. If we look at the impedance of our matching network plus
radio, we see the capacitor in series with the 50ohm transmitter, so the
impedance looking into the "ATU" plus transmitter is 50-j100 ohms. This is the
complex conjugate of the impedance looking down the feedline towards the
antenna, which we already see is 50+j100ohms.

In a more complicated scenario, the resistive component at the shack end of the
feedline may not be 50ohms, and our matching network will be more complicated,
and we will connect some reactance across the feedline and/or transmitter to
achieve the required impedance transformation. If you go through the maths, you
will again find the impedance looking into the ATU+transmitter is the complex
conjugate of the impedance looking into the feedline+antenna.

73,
Matt VK2RQ