From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Guy
Olinger K2AV
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:01 AM
To: Bob
Cc: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] kpa1500?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Bob <rtk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have in the past suggested a 1500 watt amplifier  constructed in 500
watt
> modules.

A while back someone talked about a way to put three KPA 500's (or two) in
parallel and still force equal power out of the individual amps. Buy three
KPA 500's, buy the combiner circuit made for them, and crank away.  Where
did that idea disappear to?

But that still is 6K bux plus the combiner stuff.

Kind of get the idea that the problem of the missing 1500 watt amp has
something to do with price point for an amp that is brick-on-key reliable
and seamlessly integrates as does the KPA500. And then there would have to
be a KAT1500 to go with it. That last is a designer's nightmare that is
torturing more than one company trying to get a reliable ham price point
unit out there that can stand the kinds of things hams do to them.

It's like the whole problem shifts into some higher gear around 1000 watts
RTTY, and the price change for higher capacity is anything but a linear
relation to the power output.

The Ameritron ALS-1300 (PEP for SSB voice duty cycle only) is the power out
equivalent of a KPA800, if you look at actual CW and RTTY output.

1500 watts brick-on-key you have to go to the big Alpha's, like my 8410,
and other close equivalents where you have to read the fine print very
carefully.

KPA500 was below the 1000 watt price explosion point, used some reasonably
priced very reliable finals in a simple configuration, could be put in a K3
case, including its power supply, and a matching antenna tuner was well
below the point where reliability required vacuum variables (600 bux plus
each for units NEWLY manufactured to spec) and mechanical driver circuitry
to adjust them.

Friend of mine sold his Acom 2000, went to a K-line plus a pair of
KAT500's. He doesn't miss the extra 1000 watts. I'm keeping my 8410, but I
know where he's coming from. He's 7 dB over barefoot, I'm 12 dB. Two
stations with only one S-unit difference headed to the antennas will always
come down to antenna systems and operators.

Operators making the difference? Remember that there is a potential 27 dB
gain between the ears. Or stated differently, a LID operating a QRO station
with big antennas could be beaten in a pile-up by a maxi-operator running 5
or 10 watts with big antennas.

73, Guy.

Message delivered to b...@wjschmidt.com