      From: Phil Kane <k2...@kanafi.org>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Friday, April 3, 2015 5:56 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Question K3 ALC w/SPE Expert 1.3K-FA amp

On 4/3/2015 3:01 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:

> Of course I'm just bound to German law which does not contain any
> "stupid" (pardon me, but it is!) amplification limits, just the maximum
> allowed power. How we generate it is up to us radio amateurs overhere.

It's not "stupid" when you become aware of the history.  At one time
there were no amplification limits.  The problem wasn't with the amateur
community.  The problem was with the renegade CB community that was
using the available high-gain amplifiers improperly and in violation of
US law and with the manufacturers who were catering to them.  The
problems that were created became an enforcement nightmare consuming too
much of the available enforcement resources.  There had to be some
technical limits that we could use as an enforcement benchmark on the
manufacturing level before the devices got into the wrong hands.  I
don't know if the same problems existed in the European ham communities
but it was overwhelming here.

Disclaimer -  I spent three decades on the FCC enforcement staff
directing, inter alia, local CB enforcement including locating, shutting
down, seizing, and forfeiting illegal CB equipment and assessing
monetary forfeiture penalties to the operators, manufacturers, and
dealer.  I know that field quite well.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100  s/n 5402

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest