      From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <li...@subich.com>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Friday, April 3, 2015 7:09 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Question K3 ALC w/SPE Expert 1.3K-FA amp

 > IF! If the Amp was not bought from a local (USA) Commercial vendor,
 > no harm was done.

The op indicated he purchased the amplifier from (one of) the US
distributors for SPE and that others who had purchased amplifiers
from SPE through their US distribution channels reported the same
high gain.

Those amplifiers are *not legal for sale in the USA* - they do not
meet the terms of their type acceptance.  The rules also state that
*nobody* is permitted to modify amplifiers *commercially* (e.g., a
distributor for SPE) so that they are not compliant with the type
acceptance.  An individual amateur may make or modify *for his own*
*use*, at most, *one* of a given model amplifier in any year.

When it comes to playing by the rules, there is no "Joe being Joe"
so back off.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV