"Joe just being Joe? I sure hope so -- he's a professional engineering voice of sanity on a bunch of ham reflectors. Joe is a retired broadcast engineer. He is absolutely right -- everything he has said is VERY solid engineering. It's the way GOOD rigs are designed. It's the way Elecraft rigs are designed.

Yes, it's ham radio, and FCC Rules require that our rigs use the minimum bandwidth required for mode being transmitted. A dirty transmitter occupies a lot more spectrum than a clean one. That dirty transmitter is using bandwidth that other hams may want to use. In contests, and DX pileups, signals are wall to wall. A CW signal SHOULD occupy only about 600 Hz to be 50 dB down, but MANY rigs occupy 4-5 times that.

Ah, you say, 50 dB down is a lot. I respond, not if the signal is 40 over S9 -- 50 dB down is still S7!

When we use more bandwidth than the minimum required, we as OPERATORS are in violation of FCC Rules. The only reason we get away with it is that the FCC has zero budget for enforcement.

73, Jim K9YC