Radio protocols are bi-directional ASCII connections. They are usually
implemented over serial ports, but there is no reason why they wouldn’t work
over Telnet or ssh.

Outside of amateur radio, I’ve only used a serial connection once in the past
20 years. That was hooking a console to an HP-UX server to get the networking
set up.

wunder
K6WRU
CM87wj