> At 50 my goal is to buy the last HF rig I'll need (hopefully).

At 50, you are part of the youth crowd in this hobby.  In 2004, I returned to
ham radio after a 37 year absence since my Novice days in the mid 1960s.  I was
57 years old in 2004.  Since returning to the hobby 11 years ago, I have bought
many rigs but my main at home station rig were: Icom 756 (non-pro) used, new
Icom 756 Pro III, new Elecraft K3, new Elecraft KX3 (for portable work and as a
backup rig).

At 68, I am pretty sure that my current K3 is not my last rig — I am still
waiting for the K4 or maybe K5.

73, phil, K7PEH

P.S.  About CW and returning to the code — when I returned to the hobby in 2004
I operated SSB only for 3 years.  In 2007, I got interested in CW again.  It
had been 40 years since the last time I even heard a CW signal.  If you had
asked me for the CW code of the letter F or G or whatever, I probably couldn’t
tell you.  But, within a week’s time of listening to CW, I was copying again at
about 13 to 15 wpm.  My speed I obtained as a novice 40 years prior was about
20 wpm and I was the most surprised guy that it came back so quickly.  Two
weeks after the decision to get back to CW I made my first straight key CW
contact.  And, I flubbed it.  I had not done any practice with the key on
sending thinking that it was automatic and easy.  Today, I am armchair at 20
wpm and during contests I can copy in the 30 to 35 wpm range (easy as contest
exchanges are very easy to copy).  My key of choice is my Begali Magnetic
Classic Paddle.

So, good luck on the CW — it represents better than 95 percent of all my
contacts these days.  I haven’t called CQ in SSB for maybe 3 or 4 years.