Hi Jeff,

I just recently went from the PROIII to the K3S. Although, my PROIII did NOT
have the Inrad roofing filters.

The gotta haves for me were 100 watts, antenna tuner, 250hz 500hz 2.1khz 2.7Khz
and 6Khz roofing filters, and P3 Panadapter. I am a contester and DX chaser.
I actually ordered with 200hz 5 pole filter, but that went unavailable during
the time my unit went into production. The combination of the 500hz and 250hz
filters serve my purpose well. I chose not to go with the second RX at this
time as I never used the dual watch on the proIII, and got very used to using
the spectrum scope and switching either back and forth between split or RIT. I
just never felt comfortable listening to TX/RX freqs simultaineously. Just like
I struggle trying to carry on a verbal conversation and coping CW, one or the
other please! Just my preference, and I'm comfortable with it :)
My main focus is contesting and was looking to improve RX capability on CW and
RTTY/digital. Also wanted to get rid of all the sound card interconnects for
AFSK operation. Secondary was improving SSB blocking even a little bit over the
PROIII. The K3S has proven to be all and more of what I was looking for. CW and
AFSK RTTY are 10 times better to work in contests. So, so much more pleasant on
the brain and ears! SSB turned out even better of an improvement than I guessed
there would have been. Lots more flexibility in RX tweaking with NR/AGC/RX EQ
and roofing filters band width for all modes than was capable with PROIII. It
used to be if I could hear them I could work them. Now I'm finding, I can hear
more than I can work, quickly! I have found another layer or two that was
always there but couldn't hear.
It all comes down to what you "gotta have" for your operating style. For me the
gotta haves were better RX filtering/flexibility, P3 to see the band, 100 watts
and antenna tuner, and able to get all the sound card cables and interface
stuff out of the way.

BTW, PROIII's are still holding value pretty well. I don't think their value
will change much between now and spring. Although, if you have another rig to
keep you on the air till then, you could sell now just to make sure.
I purchased my PROIII used in 2009 and could have sold it for a bit more than I
paid, but ended up selling it to my son for a little less. They are holding
value, "I think" due to the price tag of newer rigs hitting the market, keeping
the price tag somewhat inflated for the older rigs with attractive
functionality, IMHO.

You will not regret a K3 or K3S.

73 and good luck!

Gene, N9TF