So, what is noise?  It's energy.

Some of it goes into the fan and moves air, some is from turbulence off the blades, and some heats the bearing.

There are quieter fans that still move lots of air. They have carefully shaped blades and all of the flashing is cleaned off so the edges are smooth. Extra steps that cost more.

I've replaced a lot of computer fans. If the computer sits next to me, I get quiet ones. If it's in a server closet, I use higher-speed, noisy fans, preferably ones with a very high MTBF, because I won't be there to hear the server get quiet.

73 -- Lynn