From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of
lstavenhagen
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 16:04
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [k3] Isotropic Antenna

I have decades of experience with trying to operate out of 2nd story or
higher apartments. My findings are the biggest difficulties are:
- grounding
- getting the antenna outside.

To sum it up, the interiors of most apartments are essentially RF anechoic
chambers. This is due to the structures and wiring which basically form a
gigantic Faraday cage around your antenna when it's inside. When it's on the
2nd floor, the problem is compounded by being too far above the ground to
get a good ground.

So basically, it's less important what type of antenna you use than it is to
merely get it outside. What I've done in the past is just throw a wire out
the window into a neighboring tree and just hope the apt. managers don't
notice it's there. Even dangling the wire out of the window towards the
ground will work better than trying to string something up inside.

What I did was buy a Buddipole and pelican case for my rigs, and do all my
operating /p. It's inconvenient at night, of course, but it does get me
outside and gives me some exercise.

Otherwise, like I said, priority #1 is just to get whatever it is outside
the building. And that usually means a wire and a tuner in the rig....

73,
LS
W5QD

delivered to ik7...@verizon.net