I used to have “fiber to the home” while living in Bloomington, Indiana. The
provider is Smithville Fiber and in general, their TV, Internet, Telephone
bundle is excellent and price wise, very competitive. Having said that, their
interface equipment (external fiberoptic to ethernet inside the home) is of
such a poor quality that even while tuning the radio with less than 5 watts,
the internet would freeze and cease to work. I tried to use multiple RF chokes
on the coax from the antenna, the internal ethernet distribution inside the
house, even shielding the outside interface box the best I could,  but nothing
worked. Other hams in the Bloomington area have the same experience and all of
us traced it to the poor components and lack of shielding (contrary to FCC
requirements) that they use in the provider’s installation. Obviously they
never considered that ham radio operator exist and are protected under the FCC
Rules. So we went as a group and met with their management. They promised to
take action. I don’t know if they every did. Since then, I moved to North
Carolina and am now using Time Warner Cable. I have a Hex Beam in my backyard
using 100 watts. I also have a doublet fed with window line and a balun inside
my attic, same power. No problems to report up to this date.

So, it is quite possible that the providers are using the least expensive
equipment for cable, TV, and internet distribution. In my case back in
Bloomington, Smithville had to change the cable box three times because of
defects in materials and workmanship. I know that companies have to make money
to subsist, but buying the lowest bidder sometimes brings its own problems. If
in doubt, check NASA’s experience!

Ramón E. Tristani Sr.
r.trist...@gmail.com
NQ9V