On Thu,5/19/2016 6:41 AM, Warren Merkel wrote:
Thanks for the note Jim,

However I've already got multiple passes of the OCF Feedline fed through
a stack of five 2.4"  #31 donuts, per your very own, excellent
RFI-Ham.pdf article.   Picture on my QRZ page.
https://www.qrz.com/db/KD4Z

But that choke is in the wrong place -- to kill feedline current, it must be at the FEEDPOINT, up in the air where the feedline connects to the horizontal part of the antenna. Remember -- this is not DC, it is RF, and the feedline between the feedpoint and the choke is part of the antenna. All you have done is make current small at the location of the choke, but because the feedline is part of the antenna, current will vary along it following the laws of physics that determine how antennas work. To understand this, think of an ordinary resonant center-fed dipole. Current is near zero at the ends (it's an open circuit, with only capacitive coupling to space), and peaks at the center (because the center is a quarter wavelength from the end point). The same thing is happening with your feedline -- common mode current is near zero at the choke (you've forced that with the choke) and increases along the line toward the feedpoint.

The problem with antennas fed with open wire line is that it is simply not practical to choke them at the feedpoint. OCF antennas have the additional problem that the off-center feed makes them VERY unbalanced, which creates a lot of common mode current on the feedline. This doesn't prevent them from working as antennas, but it does put a lot of RF in the shack and the feedline can also receive a lot of noise (if there is any around it).

The RG6  has a stack of three donuts with a large number (didn't count)
of turns, located at the demark point to the house.  I guess I could add
another set and spread out the Z over frequency a bit more.

Spreading Z over frequency depends on the frequency range where transmitting causes problems.

I believe I need to look for other entry points to the entertainment
system as a whole, as the DirecTV DVR is network connected and of
course, connected to an AV receiver.  Lots of points of entry to squelch.

I don't remember seeing a description of the symptoms of your problem. I would expect that interference to the DirectTV unit would be indicated by "breakup" -- a failure to decode, or interruptions in the decoding of the signal. If that isn't happening, but you're hearing detected audio or clicks, I'd suspect gear in the entertainment system and work on choking cables connected to it.

But never rule out the possibility that there can be multiple points of ingress to that system.

73, Jim K9YC

Warren, KD4Z