From: Bill Frantz [via Elecraft]
[mailto:ml-node+s365791n7622198...@n2.nabble.com]
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2016 3:27 PM
To: Peter W2IRT
Subject: Re: Skimmer and the K3S

OK. Building an AI that would either complete a DX contact or
compete in a contest would be a neat hack, and probably
achievable. But, would running it be any fun?

[pjd] Depends on your definition of fun. I'd love to try it, personally.

Could you be proud of the certificates hanging on your wall that you
gathered using this kind of AI?

[pjd] I can't speak for you or anybody else, but if I assembled and
maintained such a station, absolutely.

The question I ask whenever a discussion of this nature crops up: where do
you stop the technology clock? Y2K? 1975? 1958? WW2? Marconi-era? If we're
to advance the radio art and the available pool of qualified technical
people what better way than to push the tech boundaries and compete against
one another to test its reliability and our skills? No, it's not the same as
sitting with a paddle and a paper log and a dupe sheet but is that latter
skill advancing the radio art? Fun as hell, you betcha, but is it advancing
the art?

Insofar as I'm personally concerned, I want a radio that has the best
receiver and filtering money can buy, the ability to receive on multiple
bands simultaneously, see a graphic representation of not just every signal
on the band but their calls as well, full integration to my logging software
and rotator, the ability to easily send any mode natively (CW, SSB+voice
keying, RTTY, JT-65/JT-9 and anything else for that matter) and a way to
one-click tune, call and log. To be able to do this with only a couple of
cables and not a rat's nest of wiring is a huge bonus, as is SO2R in one
box.

- pjd

Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

  _____

below:

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Skimmer-and-the-K3S-tp7622100p7622198.h
tml

To unsubscribe from Skimmer and the K3S, click here
<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubsc
ribe_by_code&node=7622100&code=bGlzdHNAdzJpcnQubmV0fDc2MjIxMDB8MTcxNzc2NDg3M
g==> .

<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_v
iewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.Basi
cNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template
.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_
emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml> NAML

-----
Lovin' my K3S (S/N 10023)
73, Peter W2IRT