Peter - Thanks for your comments. I knew that ham radio was a very big tent, but I didn't know that building a station was a goal in and of itself for some hams. My view of the tent has gotten bigger.

I'm a bit blind in the area of automatic radio. I've never run CWSkimmer. I don't know of any similar program for voice modes. My interests are mostly in emergency services and building equipment and using it on the air. I also get a lot of pleasure in club contesting at events like field day and CQP. I chase DX "because it's there" and working through a pileup with 100W and wire antennas is a challenge.

Because of my emergency service interest, I tend to avoid the JT modes because they can't be used to send complex messages like, "We need 5 units of type O+ blood." Emergency preparedness makes me want to be able to send and receive CW without a computer because CW gives me the best chance of cobbling something together when "the bad thing" really happens.

As far as building equipment goes, I figure that hams can be sorted into these groups:

 People who buy equipment to build a station

 People who buy kits to build a station.

 People who build circuits from books/magazines to build a station

 People who design their own equipment to build a station

All of these are legitimate parts of the hobby.

I have a foot in at least every category. I have bought radios for my cars. I have built radio kits for general use. I have built circuits from books, and I have designed my own automatic antenna switch controller and built it from scratch. The people I am in total awe of are the ones that design and build their own transceivers. Thank, Wayne and Eric and the rest at Elecraft for sharing your designs.

73 Bill AE6JV