Of course the room in which the speaker is used has a huge effect too.

I dread to think we'd require anechoic chambers for Hamshacks!

73 Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Doug
Person
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 7:27 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Speakers - Optimal Frequency Range?

Wow Phil, right on.  My first career was a buyer for an audio chain.  I
listened to everything they brought in.  My assistant and my secretary and I
NEVER agreed on what system sounded best. I would think a speaker that is
reasonably flat from 200 hz to maybe 5khz with low mechanical distortion and
good power handling would provide a decent baseline.
After that - your warm tones are my screeching trebles; your full bass is my
headache- inducing low range.

I use a quality, small bookshelf speaker and then use the K3's equalizer to
make the sound fill into the peaks and valleys of my ear's response curve.

$50 would probably net you a pair of small Sony, Polk, KLH, JBL or even Pyle.
New or used - you can't beat a nice rigid box with a woofer and a tweeter.

Other interesting options are line-out to a Bluetooth audio source and then to
one of the many Bluetooth wireless speaker systems.  Or to a small stereo hifi
amplifier. The K3 has stereo line output - a nice pair of bookshelf speakers
left and right would definitely give you the best sound the K3/K3s is capable
of producing (especially the K3s or an upgraded K3).

A good audio setup will amaze you when you talk to another properly adjusted
radio with a good microphone.  There is a very broad range in the quality of
signals on HF SSB.  From dreadful to beautiful.  I recommend setting up your
station for the very best receive quality your radio can produce - which in the
case of the K3, is substantial.

Doug -- K0DXV