Clay,

Unless things have changed since I tested the Caddock Thick Film Power resistors of other than 50 ohms, I would not parallel 20 1000 ohm resistors to produce a 50 ohm load. Values other than 50 ohms are not guaranteed to be non-reactive.

I would put 4 strings of 4 50 ohm resistors in series in parallel. Each resistor mounted with leads as short as possible.

I don't know about the dissipation characteristics of those resistors mounted in oil, and I suspect it depends on the heatsinking ability of the resistor mountings when immersed in the oil. 20 100 watt resistors *should* produce a 2000 watt load, but as I indicated, it depends on the dissipation of the individual resistors and how fast they can transfer their heat to the oil. It may be necessary to attach the resistors to a heat sink and immerse those heat sink assemblies into the oil.

For all those who are looking for a suitable dummy load for high power, you usually do not have to be concerned about measurement quality impedance. Something adequate to provide a suitable load for the amplifier may be all that is needed. Having a precision 50 ohm load is a requirement for measurement, but not for routine amplifier tuning and general operating procedures.

73,
Don W3FPR

73,
Don W3FPR