From: "Jim Brown" <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Sent: ‎12/‎27/‎2016 7:13 PM
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Dummy loads for dummies

On Tue,12/27/2016 12:22 PM, Paul C wrote:
> It seems tuff to get going in QRP.

Hi Paul,

The only thing "special" about antennas for QRP operation is that
BECAUSE you're QRP, you want the most efficient antennas that you can.
And the simple answer to that is to study the fundamentals in the ARRL
Handbook and the ARRL Antenna Book.

And if you plan to operate portable, you want the most efficient
antennas that are easy to carry, and to rig when you get to your
operating QTH.

There are some tutorials on my website about antennas. They are written
for antennas in general, not just portable antennas.

The best portable antennas are mostly nothing more than wire. The things
you want to BUY are the wire and things that help you rig them. Look for
lightweight, telescoping poles that you can tape a wire to, and ways to
rig it more or less upright. Jackite poles are nice for this use.

Carry more wire to string out as radials. When you can, keep the radials
off the ground a few feet -- for example, string them through scrub
trees and brush. Build dipoles for situations when you can rig two ends
in trees. Find a lightweight method to toss weights tied to fishing line
into trees, tie light weight antenna rope to the line, pull it into the
tree(s), rig the antenna wire to that rope. I used to see a product
called a "wrist rocket" that is essentially a fishing reel attached to a
short rod for launching into a tree. If you're going to use fishing
weights, paint them a bright color so you can find them.

One of my buddies, N6RNO, is awfully good at simply tying a fishing
weight to a fishing line and using his arm as a sort of catapault to
launch wires into trees. He regularly gets our dipoles for CQP
(California QSO Party) county expeditions up 40 ft into trees. When I
first moved to CA 10 years ago, AE6RF did that using a half empty 16 oz
water jug.

Tossing a wire into a tree is also a great way to rig a vertical.

Whatever you do, don't waste a single penny on any commercial antenna
for portable use. Those popular (and expensive) poles antennas with

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to paul...@sbcglobal.net