This debate seems to get resurrected a lot. I think the reason for that is more philosophical than technical. Clearly 1 KW is better than 500 watts, at least in many cases. The question really is, do you actually need it, and can you make that leap practically. Answers to those questions will be all over the board.

I run 500 watts because it is practical. I don't have a 1 ton brick to deal with, I didn't have to re-wire my shack, the lights don't dim when I go key down, and I don't apparently have RFI problems. I also only had to give up one arm and one leg (not both) to accomplish that financially--the cost/watt seems to go up significantly above that. If all those factors were neutralized, I might run 1 KW too!

500 watts is a lot of power! It gives me 60% of the maximum gain I can achieve legally (1 S unit down). 1 S unit is nothing to sneeze at, but I find that, usually, if I can hear them I can work them. More often than not, if I have a problem, It is hearing them. A bigger amp won't solve that. I could probably gain 2 S units or more, both on RX and TX, with somewhat better antennas. Well, that's a problem here too, but not for a lot of others.

Invariably the "weak signal" argument is raised, and it's hard to refute. However, I really wonder how often that is really solved by a bigger amp. They may be weak on your RX, but the reverse might not be true. I'm just asking, not refuting. It does seem to me, though, that it is more a matter of out shouting other stations. On the other hand, it may be a matter of defeating the other person's noise level. Score 1 for more power. In fact, that may be one of the best arguments for more power.

Anyway, I don't think there is an answer here--just options and consequences. A bigger amp is not a panacea--just an option. What I think I do know, however, is that we tend to run more power than we need, not less. Still, that depends on your philosophy. A lot of folks have V8's, when a V6 is plenty. Actually, I have a V8, but it just drinks more gas, and doesn't get me there any quicker.

Dave W7AQK