I agree. I use WSJT-X mostly on 6M during the summer and 160M during the winter. On 6M, I can't use the WSJT-X split mode, because it takes over my second VFO, preventing me from working back and forth from WSJT-X on one VFO (and RX) and CW on the low end of the band.

The split mode in WSJT-X is simply a crutch for those who don't know (or don't care) how to set audio levels so that distortion is not produced in the audio chain. The link below includes simple procedures for getting those settings right. It applies to all sorts of computer-to-rig audio connections, not only those with a USB interface.

http://k9yc.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf

BTW -- a decent USB interface can GREATLY improve decoding of weak signals. That link describes my testing that clearly shows that.

73, Jim K9YC