Actually, my experience is different.  If I transmit at the edges of the
bandpass, my signal is attenuated due to the bandpass of the output stage.
I hope I am saying this correctly.  This is why I use split to ensure that
the signal I transmit engages the full power of the KX3.

Now, I have read many times in this forum that the setup of audio based
digital modes only needs to set the audio so you get 4 bars of alc (5th
flickering) and then set the output power to 5w (in my case that is what I
use).  You set these independently of one another.  Fine.  I have done
that.  But, I have observed that if I don't use split mode and I respond to
a cq at the edges of the bandpass (e.g., 200-300hz or 2500-2700hz), my
signal is noticeably weaker.

Have I misconfigured something on the KX3?  The USB sound card I am using
is many times wider than a typical USB signal.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW