Depending the type of noise, for repetitive pulse type noise only,  the Noise Blanker does it job.  Now one must understand that all pulse noise is not alike.  Therefore, different values of NB, both with the  IF values and with DSP values, will require some adjustments.    If the noise is not repetitive then the NB is not the better choice but the NR is the better choice.  Again, depending on they type of noise, certain combinations of NR values will be necessary.

Yes, that is correct in that the Noise Reduction function is not available or can not be activated in the DATA mode.  However the Noise Blanker can be used in the DATA mode.   Again, the Noise Blanker is for repetitive pulse type noise.

I've spoken with many hams and find their understanding of Noise Reduction  being described as often does not work as expected. Further discussion seems to indicate they want NE........Noise Elimination.    Well, NR........Noise Reduction does in fact work when the values are selected based on the type of broad noise spectrum being encountered.  NR has very little effect on pulse type noise.

One fact not clearly understood, is that most hams operate with too much RF Gain.   Thus the correct application of ATTENUATION and RF Gain reduction will greatly improve receiver performance in the face of noise.

Optimizing receiver gain compared to band noise and the noise floor of the receiver is explained in a quote from Rob Sherwood, Sherwood Engineering:

"If receiver noise floor is 10 dB below band noise, the receiver is contributing less than 0.5 dB of the total noise. Band noise varies by band over 30 dB, 160-10 meters. It also varies by direction and time of day, plus what the sun is doing. In an noisy urban environment it is anybody's guess as to your band noise level. A simple test is to see how much the noise coming out your speaker increases when you switch between a dummy load and your antenna, when tuned to a dead spot on the band. Example on 10 meters at my rural QTH, IC-756 Pro III: preamp OFF, noise goes up 3 dB. That means the receiver is contributing half the noise. Preamp 1 ON, band noise goes up 9.5 dB.   Almost all legacy receivers are designed for 10 meters, and attenuation is desirable on the low HF bands."

In Rob's first statement, how do we get the band noise to be 10 dB above receiver noise?  Use Attenuation and RF  Gain reduction. As an example, if receiver noise floor is -130 dBm and the band noise, no signal, is S-5 or -97 dBm, the difference being 33 dB. This would then indicate one should employ 15 dB of Attenuation and 8 dB of RF Gain reduction.  Or 10 dB of Attenuation and some 13 dB of RF Gain reduction.   Of course the band noise will be comprised of different noise components, depending on band and many other factors as he suggests.

73

Bob, K4TAX