From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Wes Stewart
Sent: Sunday, September 3, 2017 3:00 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Noise Blankers

Just a couple of points.

In the K3(S) there is no "RF Gain" control unless by RF gain you mean "It's not
the audio gain gain control."

The "RF" gain control operates on the i-f amplifier, which is after the analog
noise blanker. In this regard, it is little different from AGC, which operates
on exactly the same circuitry. Why some people believe that they are better at
controlling i-f gain than the AGC system does is beyond me, but old wife's
tales die hard.  If this is hard to fathom, watch the S meter as you reduce
"RF"
gain.  The reading increases, no different from letting the AGC do it.

Attenuation is a different matter. It operates at RF and is a viable tool.

About noise blanking, I think I had a little to say about that almost 40 years
ago: http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/Noise_Blanker.pdf

Wes  N7WS