It should be a simple matter to pull it apart and clean the contacts with
De-Oxit.

That said, the auto ranging, hand-held digital Chicom meters on ebay for under
$25 are decent.
The non-auto-ranging types are under $10.
Or, you can get a free one at Harbor Freight.

I bought one of the HF top-of-the-line hand-held meters which measures
everything you could ever want, temperature, sound pressure, light intensity,
capacitors etc.,  for under $50 and beat the krapp out of it. It still works.
The internal fuse has saved it on numerous "Oh shXX" happenings.

I have a lab standard (traceable) meter calibrator for Voltage that is good to
3 decimal places past zero, and my fancy Fluke is no more accurate than these
cheap throw-away's.

MCM, now Newark, has the Tenma line that are also good meters.  I also use a
few of those, bench types on the test bench.

73, Charlie k3ICH