For a good solid multimeter whose safety and features were spec'ed by Dave
Jones of EEVBLOG fame, do a search on Amazon for
EEVblog Brymen BM235 Multimeter
That one will set you back $125, but it has just about all of what you need.

For a bit less than $60, the UNI-T UT61E is a favorite.

And for only about $20, look for the AN8008 or AN8009. They are sold under
various names, and the two differ slightly in features, but for a compact,
quicky DMM you won't be using on anything scarier than house wiring mains,
they should fit the bill.

You'll want to look carefully at all the features, but you won't go wrong
with the BM235. I have a UT61E and an AN8008, and they offer good value. I
have another Brymen meter similar to the BM235, and it is a very high
quality unit. They OEM for Greenlee and others, BTW.

If you are really picky about your features and specs, take a look at this:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA