There are certainly some decent cheap DMM's out there, but also some terrible.
I had one (CH-something) that was quite accurate when the batteries was new,
but when the battery voltage got lower, it showed >25% too much. It apparently
used the battery voltage as voltage reference...
Combined with no low-battery indication it was quite useless.

So if you need to trust the readings from the DMM, get one that has good
reputation (doesn't need to be Fluke).

73 de Johan SM0XHJ