From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 8:11 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Issue 12 re Astron Power Supply

On 2018-04-15 10:38 PM, hawley, charles j jr wrote:
> I disconnected the black wire. When it was connected, much of the
> current that would have passed thru the negative power wire from the
> power supply to the rig was shunted thru the green power cord wire,
> the ground buss bar, and other ground connections.
More importantly, if the "station ground" - the ground from the antenna entry
panel - is not bonded to the power entry ground, a lightning event can be
carried from the chassis of the power supply back through the electrical system
safety ground to the power entry *or vice versa* depending on the location of
the "strike".

This greatly increases the chances for damages to station equipment and all
other electronic equipment in the household in event of a lightning event.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV