Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

In 50+ years of pounding brass on the Ham bands from 160 meters through UHF,
the only time I've worked at 30 wpm or more with any regularity is when
working a small handful QRQ buddies. That totals much less than 0.1% of my
QSO's. 99% of the thousands and thousands of QSO's over the years are at 15
to 25 WPM. The remainder are real QRS working new Hams or OT's getting back
on CW at 10 wpm or less.

I have a lot of QSOs around 28 WPM. Not as many over 30, and once in a while a 40+ wpm QSO. There are a few guys out there working at 50-65 wpm and even faster, but I can't send that fast with a paddle and refuse to use a keyboard!

But the original question was based on using QSK in DX pileups where the DX station might be sending at 35-40. In this case fast QSK is extremely useful in keeping in sync with the pileup. You will not get the DX station if you call while he's sending, and slow QSK will cause you to lose sync.

I love my K2, but like any object of love, it isn't flawless!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco