Good Evening,

   Yes, the bands were more quiet and in both of the ways I had suspected they would be.  QSB was mild but present with an S2 variance at the greatest.  Twenty meters was more quiet so I was able to reach past the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers.  However, spanning the Red River of the North seems problematic.  The signal from K4JPN was the weakest yet least noise covered of them all. Only a few words got jumbled due to QSB but the rest was plain as day at S1 or less.  It may be the 'Elecraft Effect' but maybe not; that is still in the hands of the research analysts.  All I can describe is what I see right in front of me.

  On 14050 kHz at 2200 z:

NO8V - John - MI

K0DTJ - Brian - CA

K6XK - Roy - IA

K4JPN - Steve - GA

W0CZ - Ken - ND

  On 7045.5 kHz at 0000z:

K0DTJ - Brian - CA

K6PJV - Dale - CA

    To all you people in the sweltering heartland and eastward: stay cool, stay hydrated.

Until next week,

   73,

      Kevin.  KD5ONS

-