Skip,

Yes, there are various causes of static on the feedline, but static is static. It is a voltage charge on the feedline and it can damage equipment. The source may be wind blowing on your antenna, rain or snow that carries charged particles, or nearby lightning. No matter what the cause, it can produce a significant voltage across your feedline. It does not take a direct lightning hit to produce damaging voltages on your antenna feedline. A direct hit can cause damage to house and home and any equipment in that home, but there are other times when the accumulated static voltage on any feedline can cause damage to your ham equipment.

I recall an event many years ago when I got that lesson. I had several antennas in the basement shack unterminated and just waiting to be connected. The wind was blowing and I thought nothing of it until I picked up an open feedline and placed it near my Heathkit HW101 intending to connect it - sparks flew as the coax got close to the chassis! That was a warning to me - disconnect and ground all my feedlines when not in use. If not grounded, at least a bleed resistor across the feedlines to discharge any built up static.

73,
Don W3FPR