Yep, all true.  The somewhat insidious thing about precip static is that it can be totally innocuous, unlike T-storms, lightning strikes, and the like.  We hadn't even noted that it had begun snowing, fairly hard, outside the tent, when the first rx quit.  The "frying bacon" and the tiny little "grass" on the baseline of the panadapter should have been a clue to "look outside" to a bunch of OF's with that much accumulated experience ... sadly it wasn't.  OTOH, QRN from multiple distant T-storms is just that ... annoying noise in the receiver with no danger. Likewise with power line hash.  Of all the forms of QRN, and excluding a lightning strike [which is hard to ignore], precip static can be the most dangerous to equipment and go unrecognized by new folk [and a handful of OT's].

In this age with a dearth of Elmers standing next to you, that function seems to have migrated to email lists like this one, various fora, and various wiki's.  I don't think they can replace W6RMK, with my latest electronic creation [usually a TX] on his bench, explaining how the grid of the PA rectifies some of the RF waveform and charges a capacitor that slowly leaks off through an appropriately named "grid leak" resistor. [:-)

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County