W3WPR:

>It has always been interesting to me that the really 'top performance'
receivers are not only homebrew, but include very few 'bells and whistles'
and enjoy a simplistic set of front panel controls.  Of course, each builder
has a choice of his favorite controls to bring out to the front panel.

        Elegant simplicity:  http://www.5b4agn.net/

>There are several buttons on my K2 that are rarely (if ever) used - for
instance, I never use RIT and XIT since split operation is available.

        I agree.  I've never understood what problem XIT is
intended to solve.  Both RIT/XIT are completely unnecessary
in a rig with split and I detest using that tiny knob in
lieu of the Main VFO knob.

>Each of us does have our own operating preferences and will use that 'set of
buttons' particular to our own style - some will be happy with the set
available, others may want their faorite functions available, 'you can't
please everyone all the time'.  Such compromise decisions is what good
design is all about - I for one am quite pleased with Wayne's design
decisions for the K2, although it would have been nice to have the Gain
Controls available for change via program control so I could create my
favorite set of buttons and controls on a computer screen.

        The K2's basic operating firmware is indeed
excellent...much more intuitive than more expensive
rigs...although some less used menu functions/modes
require keeping a manual handy (e.g what does that
flashing symbol mean?).

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV