Jim, N2EY wrote:
In a message dated 5/27/06 10:25:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I agree.  I've never understood what problem XIT is
> intended to solve.

It's meant to solve the problem where you want to intentionally not transmit

on the listening frequency, and want the minimum of control operations to
get
there.

Yes, that's a rare situation.

-------------------

I would hope so. It implies transmitting without listening first on the xmit
frequency to be sure it is clear, an absolute *must do* for proper Ham
operation.

When I need to xmit off frequency I tune to the intended xmit freq and,
hearing it's clear, hit A/B to put myself back listening on the original
frequency, all set to xmit off frequency as needed when I hit the key with
SPLIT enabled. If it's been a while since I checked, all I need do is
press/hold A/B to 'peek' at the other frequency to be sure it's still clear.

I run split 100% of the time. I tune around and if I hear someone I want to
call (or find a clear frequency on which I want to make a call) I just tap
A=B and that brings the transmit frequency onto the frequency where I'm
receiving. Then if someone answers my call a bit off frequency, it's a
no-brainer. I just tune - using the nice big tuning knob - as needed without
altering my xmit frequency.

Ron AC7AC