Mike Davies G0KAD wrote:

A modular system allowing the builder to start simple and build to a fully featured HF radio would be fabulous.

This approach also makes it much easier to keep the radio's circuitry up to date for top performance, more difficult to do if everything is on one board. Other benefits include proper shielding and further down the list, some freedom in choosing the physical shape of the radio. Rightly or wrongly I interface RF and IF modules at 50 ohms, which makes it easy to work with an individual module in or out of the radio, or design a new module to replace one that exists or to add. I believe that many homebrewers do the same thing.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD