Hi Geoff. K8ZOA has designed a nice panadapter that I showed at my booth at Dayton, connected to my K2. It looks very nice, and connects to a computer for a nice display. There is also an optional GLCD display for standalone use.

It uses a DDS chip to determine IF center frequency, so it works with any IF up to 50 MHz. He is writing it up for QEX, and you can find out more about it at http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/

73,
Larry N8LP

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
My vote is that XIT is not a useful feature in a rig that has two VFOs A & B, with the SPLIT option. I have never used XIT with the K2 and it does not exist in my homebrew rigs. Maybe I am missing something?

What I do find very useful, especially in a pileup situation, is a panadapter / spectrum display that is NOT fuzzy and which shows where my transmitter is placed (vertical line).

Digressing somewhat, a very useful addition to a receiver is a rear panel connector from which a sample of the signal that appears at the output of the first signal mixer can be obtained, at 50 ohms impedance. This provides a source for all those external devices not yet thought about. Obviously this has to be done in such a way that the proper gain distribution of the receiver is not disturbed.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD