Yes, I've heard the complaints about the Koss SB-40.   I've used mine with great audio reports {even the AM fellows approve} and I've critically listened to the radio using the SB-40.   For those that have gotten bad reports, the solution is very simple.   It is known as "mike technique".

The placement of the mike is very critical.  Funny as it may seem, place the mike about 1" off of the end of the nose.  Never below it, and never below the chin, and never in front of the mouth.   It is a dynamic mike which does exhibit proximity effect.   A known fact.   Below the nose and one "snorts" like a bull as they exhale.   Below the chin and the breath pops are excessive as the upper lip and roof of the mouth directs the burst of the "P" downward.  Plus it will get baptized when one drinks coffee.   At the end of the nose, there's no snorts, there's no breath pops, there's no proximity effect, and the element doesn't build up spittal.   And one can still drink coffee without giving the mike a baptism.

As to EQ, and this applies for the C500 as well, just roll off every thing below 200 Hz to -16 dB and 400 Hz about -3 dB to -6 dB.  You'll sound like Don Pardo.......assuming you have the pipes.

73

Bob, K4TAX