Someday!

But the K3s is still new to the marketplace and Eric and Wayne (aka Elecraft) are in a "for-profit" enterprise. I suspect their business plan specifies a target number of sales to make a new product "successful". Most likely that will be a few more years to arrive.

What could move-up that date would be emergence of competing products with more advanced features/specs.

My guess the K4 will arrive with substantial different design - and they are taking notes on the desires of the readership (no dummies, they are). Obviously direct -conversion is one, when A/D technology advances enough (and is fiscally reasonable) to do well. I'd say we are there, now (KX3 and KX2).

Since I am involved in one of the most technical demanding aspect of Ham radio (eme), folks should look at the advancements being done on eme.

Latest arrival is the UADC4 designed-for-ham radio four audio port A/D convertor using USB computer interface. A perfect unit for interface with SDR's. KX3 provides IQ that would use two ports. This A/D has superior dynamic range and low noise floor when compared to soundcards. Eme'rs will proof this new technology and I expect it will begin to be adopted outside eme. Recent explosion of FT8 is an example.

I bought my K3 in 2010 after thoroughly comparing the field. Phase coherent dual receivers were the significant goal. I pair them with two LP-Pan run from a single LO into a Delta44 soundcard (which will be replaced by the UADC4). I updated the Synth boards when they became available and modified the Gen Coverage BP filter to accept 630m. Did not need the new K3s USB I/F as line-in audio and USB/RS232 conversion cables working fine. Some of the other improvements not used in my particular applications.

Who knows if the K4 will encourage me to upgrade?

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com